Last Updated: July 1, 2016
The Courtyard Virginia Beach and the Marriott Group , which includes Marriott International, Inc. and its affiliates value you as our guest and recognizes that privacy is important to you. We want you to be familiar with how we collect, use and disclose information. This Privacy Statement describes the privacy practices of the Courtyard Virginia Beach and the Marriott Group in connection with information that we collect through websites operated by us from which you are accessing this Privacy Statement, including CourtyardVirginiaBeach.com, Marriott.com, and other websites owned or controlled by the Marriott Group (collectively, the “Websites”), through the software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices (the “Apps”), through our social media pages that we control from which you are accessing this Privacy Statement (collectively, our “Social Media Pages”), through HTML-formatted email messages that we send to you that link to this Privacy Statement, and through your communications with us and when you stay as a guest at one of our hotels or other properties (collectively, including the Websites, the Apps and our Social Media Pages, the “Online Services,” and together with offline channels, the “Services”). By providing Personal and Other Information to us, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement.
Collection of Personal Information
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. We may collect Personal Information such as:
- Name, gender, home and work address, telephone number and email address, your business title, date and place of birth, nationality, passport, visa or other government-issued identification information;
- Guest stay information, including the hotels where you have stayed, date of arrival and departure, goods and services purchased, special requests made, information and observations about your service preferences (including room type, facilities, holiday preferences, amenities requested, ages of children or any other aspects of the Services used);
- Telephone numbers dialed, faxes sent/received or receipt of telephone messages when connected to the telephone services we may provide guests during their stay;
- Credit and debit card number;
- Marriott Rewards information, online user accounts details, profile or password details and any frequent flyer or travel partner program affiliation;
- Employer or other relevant details if you are an employee of a corporate account, a vendor or other type of business partner (e.g., travel agent or meeting and event planner);
- Additional contact information about you that we may obtain through third parties with whom we do business (e.g. travel agents or similar providers);
- Profile picture;
- Social media account ID or user ID.
If you submit any Personal Information relating to other people to us or to our service providers in connection with the Services (e.g., if you make a reservation for another individual), you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through Our Online Services: We may collect Personal Information when you make a reservation or otherwise purchase goods and services from us, communicate with us via online chat services, inform us of any special requests or preferences you may have, or sign up for a newsletter or participate in a survey, contest, or promotional offer.
- Through Our Offline Services: We may collect Personal Information from you offline, such as when you visit one of our hotel, make a reservation over the phone or contact customer service.
- From Other Sources: We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, and other third parties. This may include information from your travel agent, airline, credit card, and other partners, and from social media platforms (including from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected). For example, if you elect to login to, connect with or link to, the Online Services using your social media account, certain Personal Information from your social media account will be shared with us, which may include Personal Information that is part of your profile or your friends’ profiles.
- From Authorized Licensees: Marriott Group companies may from time to time enter into a license or similar agreement with a third party to sell products and services under a Marriott Group brand. Such an “Authorized Licensee” is independent from the Marriott Group. Examples of Authorized Licensees include entities such as Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation, the operator of the Marriott Vacation Club, developers of Marriott and Ritz-Carlton branded real estate, such as the Ritz-Carlton Residences, and the issuer of the Marriott Rewards Credit Card.
- From Owners and Franchisees: We will receive Personal Information about you from owners and franchisees of Marriott branded properties such as stay information, payment information, and observations about service preferences.
Use of Personal Information
We may use Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- To provide the services you request, such as to facilitate reservations, send confirmations or pre-arrival messages, to assist you with meetings, events or celebrations, and provide you with other information about the area and the hotel at which you are scheduled to stay.
- To complete and fulfill your reservation and stay, for example, to process your payment, ensure that your room is available, and provide you with related customer service.
- In connection with our eFolio program. Your Marriott or Ritz-Carlton Rewards number, as entered on your reservation, acts as an eFolio identifier, allowing the transmission of your bill to your email address. If your Marriott or Ritz-Carlton Rewards number is applied to another person’s room reservation, or if you make a reservation for another person and provide your email address for that reservation, that person’s bill will be transmitted to your email address as well. It is your responsibility to inform that person that his or her bill will be emailed to you when your Marriott or Ritz-Carlton Rewards number or email address is attached to his/her reservation unless he/she makes alternative arrangements with a front desk during the stay.
- To send you administrative information, marketing communications, promotional offers, periodic customer satisfaction, market research or quality assurance surveys.
- To personalize your experience when you stay in one of our hotels and with respect to the Online Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and other promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information. We suggest that you read any such rules carefully.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, security and fraud monitoring and prevention (including through the use of closed circuit television, card keys, and other security systems), developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
We may also use Personal Information in connection with loyalty programs such as Marriott or Ritz-Carlton Rewards to:
- Send you information regarding your account status and activities;
- Assess the benefits to which you are entitled;
- Administer points earned through the Marriott Rewards Credit Card;
- Manage your choices regarding how you wish to earn points (e.g., participating airlines and other company loyalty programs) and track your points and transaction activity.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed in connection with the following services that we provide as a global hotel company:
- Reservations: The Personal Information you provide to us for making a reservation is made available to the applicable hotel for the purpose of meeting your reservation request. The hotel may be owned and managed by Marriott or it may be owned or managed by a third party. After your stay we retain your Personal Information including details of your stay, preferences, room/accommodation type and amenities used.
- Within the Marriott Group: We may disclose your Personal Information to other companies within the Marriott Group for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement, such as providing you with services associated with your stay at one of our hotels and for the purpose of sending you marketing communications, consistent with your choices.
- To Service Providers: We may disclose Personal Information to our third party service providers who provide services such as spa and restaurants within our hotels, website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services.
- To Franchisees: We may disclose your Personal Information to franchisees in connection with the Services, including with respect to a reservation you book through us.
- Travel Related Services: We may share your Personal Information with select third-parties with whom we have agreements allowing them to offer Marriott- or Ritz-Carlton branded products to you. For example, this sharing enables these third-parties to provide you with a single source for purchasing packages that include other travel-related services such as airline tickets or rental cars. Please note that this Privacy Statement does not address any information you subsequently provide directly to one of these third-parties, such as information necessary to reserve a rental car.
- eFolio Program: If you are an employee of a company that participates in Marriott’s eFolio Program and pay for your hotel expenses (hotel folio) at a Marriott participating property using the corporate credit card that your employer provided to you, an extract of your hotel folio detailing the goods and services provided to you during your hotel stay will be sent to the credit card company or its agents, who will in turn provide that extract to your employer to facilitate employee expense processing. This Privacy Statement does not apply to the handling of your Personal Information by your employer, any credit card companies, banks or their respective agents, and we are not responsible for their practices.
- Sponsors of Sweepstakes, Contests and other Promotions.
- Corporate Reorganization: We may disclose your Personal Information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We may also use and disclose Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Collection of Other Information
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
- Browser and device information
- App usage data
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you
- Aggregated information
If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information as detailed in this Statement.
We and our third party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Online Services (such as the Apps) you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Online Services function properly.
- Through your use of the Apps: When you download and use an App, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
- Using cookies:Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the computer or mobile device that you are using. Cookies allow us to collect information such as browser type, time spent on the Online Services, pages visited, referring URL, language preferences, and other aggregated traffic data. We and our service providers use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, to collect statistical information, to personalize your experience while using the Online Services and to recognize your computer in order to assist your use of the Online Services, such as for the online reservation process. We also gather statistical information about use of the Online Services in order to continually improve their design and functionality, understand how they are used and assist us with resolving questions regarding them.
- IP Address: Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Online Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Online Services. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
- Physical Location & Mobile Location-Based Services: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower, WiFi signals, or other technologies. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content, including enabling you to find a hotel near you.
If you have downloaded one of our Apps, you may enroll to receive special offers by agreeing to the use of technologies that enable us to collect information about your location when you are in our near participating hotels through your mobile device’s Bluetooth or similar capabilities. We will collect this information if you opt-in through the App (either during your initial login or later) to receive the special offers and by enabling these capabilities on your mobile device. If you have done so, the App will continue to collect location information when you are in or near a participating hotel until you log off (i.e., the App will collect this information if it is running in the background) or use your phone’s or other device’s setting to disable your mobile device’s applicable similar capabilities for the Marriott App.
We may also share your device’s physical location, combined with information about what advertisements you viewed and other information we collect, with our marketing partners to enable them to provide you with more personalized content and to study the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. In some instances, you may be permitted to allow or deny such uses and/or sharing of your device’s location, but if you do, we and/or our marketing partners may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
- By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services (for example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
Use and Disclosure of Other Information
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information (such as combining your name with your location). If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
- Third Party Services: This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site or service to which the Services link, third party payment services, or any third-party website that is the landing page of the high-speed Internet providers at our hotels. The inclusion of a link on the Online Services does not imply endorsement of the linked site or service by us or by our affiliates. We have no control over, and are not responsible for, this third party’s collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information.
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the Apps or our Social Media Pages.
- Third Party Advertisers: We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding goods and services that may be of interest to you when you access and use the Online Services and other websites or online services, based on information relating to your access to and use of the Online Services and other websites or online services. To do so, these companies may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser (including through use of pixel tags). If you would like more information about this practice, and to learn about your choices in connection with it, please visithttp://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and http://www.aboutads.info/ . You may download the AppChoices app at www.aboutads.info/appchoices to opt out in mobile apps.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
Choices, Access and Retention
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out by visiting our unsubscribe page or by following the instructions in any such email you receive from us.
In addition, members of Marriott Rewards can also opt-out from communications through their Rewards account, or by sending a letter to Internet Customer Care – Unsubscribe, 1818 North 90 Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68114-1315 USA.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt-out.
Special Notice for California Residents: Individual customers who reside in California and have provided their Personal Information to us may request information about our sharing of certain categories of Personal Information to third parties, including affiliates within the Marriott Group, for their direct marketing purposes. Such requests should be submitted to us at email@example.com, or:
Marriott International, Inc.
Global Compliance, Privacy
10400 Fernwood Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
United States of America
Within thirty days of receiving such a request, we will provide a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of these third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted to addresses other than the addresses specified in this paragraph.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information:
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress or delete Personal Information that you have previously provided to us, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or:
Marriott International, Inc.
Global Compliance, Privacy
10400 Fernwood Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
United States of America
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database, or other limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Retention: Unless specifically requested, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, national identification number, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion (e.g., when you make a purchase or reservation, or enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Information provided until after the completion of such purchase, reservation, or promotion). There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed. In addition, there may be certain information to which we are unable to enable you to review, for legal, security, or other reasons.
We will retain your Personal Information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Use of Services by Minors
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that they not provide Personal Information through the Services.
Marriott Group is a global organization and provides a global service. Sharing information cross border is essential to the Services so that you receive the same high quality service wherever you are in the world. As a result, we may, subject to applicable law, transfer Personal and Other Information collected in connection with the Services, to these entities in countries where information protection standards may differ from those in the country where you reside. By making a reservation, staying at a Marriott property or using any Marriott-branded service, you understand that we may transfer your personal information globally.
Updates to This Privacy Statement
We may change this Privacy Statement. The “LAST UPDATED” legend at the top of this page indicates when this Privacy Statement was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the Online Services. Your use of the Services following these changes means that you accept the revised Privacy Statement.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact us at email@example.com, or:
Marriott International, Inc.
Global Compliance, Privacy
10400 Fernwood Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
United States of America
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.